Telecommunications & IT
Usability and functionality of products determine the satisfaction level of customers and greatly influence market success. Challenges for manufacturers of telecommunications and information technology products include:
- Finding the perfect match between the complexity of technical devices and software solutions and the customers’ needs
- Developing products that promise enduring market success and at the same time keeping pace with a dynamic market and a competitive environment
- Considering the increasing convergence of technology and content, e.g., media and entertainment: New interfaces and a variety of purposes for one product
Usability testing considers the perception of users regarding functionality, user-friendliness, process flow and design. In addition, the acceptance of innovations as well as new product ideas and services can be examined for added value.
Which questions can be answered?
- What is required regarding handling and navigation?
- What is the expected interaction between the user and device?
- Is operation easy, intuitive and understandable?
- How are individual performance components and optimization potentials accepted with regard to usage, product features and services?
- To what extent does the product/software integrate into daily routines, both private and business?
- Is usage as intended? Are there alternative or additional purposes?
- Is there separate or universal use of product for private and/or business purposes?
How does it work?
- Usability Lab: combining observation and survey techniques, the usability lab traces existing problems and indicates scope for improvement
- Ethnographic market research: observing behavior in the context of everyday reality, i.e., outside the laboratory situation of focus groups and studio-interviews
- IT hardware
- Mobile devices, e.g., smartphones, tablets, notebooks, navigation systems
- Telecommunication equipment, e.g. hands-free equipment
- IT peripherals
- Industrial electronics
- Software solutions for consumer and business purposes
- User manuals and packaging
- Convergent solutions. Interfaces, e.g., between telecommunication and car technology or telecommunication and conventional consumer electronics